Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Setbacks, Butter Dish and Nestles

I've had a few setbacks resulting in some uncomfortable moments.  I've been wondering if I need to get a separate butter dish for myself.  This would work as long as everyone remembers that it is MY butter dish so NO gluten crumbs, please!  I have my own little two slice toaster for only gluten free items and now I think I will need my own butter dish or container.  

Can I trust the information on the internet about gluten in products?  I rely heavily on Google searches to find gluten information about specific products.  Like, tonight: 


Hubby, calling from WalMart "Is Philadelphia cream cheese gluten free?"

Me, after looking it up "Yes" and I list the exact products that are

Hubby, "What about the whipped cream cheese?"

You know I could NEVER find specific information about the whipped variety.  So, I have the regular tub kind and it was fine.  I do like the whipped better, though.

Is Hidden Valley Ranch dressing totally gluten free?  The internet searches appear to show that it is.  There is no allergen info regarding gluten on the label.  Is it still safe to assume it is SAFE?  I don't know.

No product info today although I did see a recipe for Toll House Cookies on a Gluten Free message board.  Supposedly it is from Nestle.  

Wheat-Free Toll House Cookies (Gluten-Free)
(Makes 50 two-inch cookies)

Ingredients:
1 c plus 2 Tbsp. potato starch
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
10 Tbsp. butter, softened
6 Tbsp. sugar
6 Tbsp. firmly-packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
6-oz pkg. (1 c) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 c chopped nuts

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 F. In small bowl, combine potato starch, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract; beat until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually add potato starch mixture. Stir in Nestlé Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 F. for 8 to 10 minutes. 

NOT sure if this is from Nestles, but this is the recipe.  I will make it tomorrow or maybe the next day.  Review to follow! 

1 comment: