Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GOOD Home Baked Bread

I've been so busy with life that I have not posted anything here in a while.  Actually I have not really tried anything new with gluten free stuff.  

I have been making bread that is quite good though!  I received three cookbooks for Christmas by Bette Hagman, the gluten free gourmet.  Her four flour blend bread is VERY good!  You need to read the FAQ's in the beginning of the book to get some really necessary tips and hints.  

My first attempt made a wonderful loaf of bread with a great flavor and texture.  Sad thing is, it turned out looking like a squished hat!  The whole loaf collapsed in on itself!  The second time I made it the same thing happened.  Dammit!  

The recipe calls for using a mixer, making the dough the consistency of cake batter and then covering the loaf with foil after ten minutes of cooking time.  OK, so this is what I did.  I stopped using the mixer and mixed vigorously by hand.  The cake batter consistency seemed a little odd since most times my cake batter is really, really thin. I made my bread "dough" more like waffle batter.  Lastly, I cooked the bread for about 20 minutes with NO foil, then put the foil on for the rest of the cooking.  This seems to work well for me here in my climate.  Unfortunately you really have to play around with the recipe a little to get it to work out.

I now have a small-ish loaf of bread that actually holds up!  It tastes like bread and the consistency is mostly like normal bread as well.  Yes, there is a bit of a springy egg consistency, but it does not detract from the bread.  I can slice thinly and make a sandwich!  It stayed fresh in a ziplock on my kitchen counter for a few days.  When it did get dry, I made French toast out of it!  

The recipe can be found in Bette Hangman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. We're doing well with the Udi's white bread. But I may give this one a go for my texas cut french toast.

    ReplyDelete