Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baby! Grandma's Waiting Room Snacks

My daughter had her baby on Saturday the 8th so I've been running around from their house taking care of animals to the hospital to my own house.  They are home now so all is settling down, for me at least!  

My "grandma bag" at the hospital had to contain some snacks that I could eat while waiting for the big event!  I decided to make the No Bake Granola Bars from Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.  To start out with, the TASTE is amazing!  The texture?  Well these were a little more like granola crumbs than bars.  The recipe calls for GF flaked cereal, sliced almonds, chocolate chips (I omitted), dried fruit (used chopped figs, golden and regular raisins), peanut butter and corn syrup.  You basically mix them all up, then press into a cookie sheet with sides and allow to cool in the fridge.  To be totally fair I used crunchy peanut butter because that is all I had.  Also, the recipe calls for light corn syrup and I used dark.  The proportions were all correct.

MAYBE if I had allowed these babies to sit in the fridge longer than the recipe states they would have held together better.  I don't know.  The taste is really good!  I wish they were not so crumbly.  I still brought a plastic container to the hospital while waiting and it was really yummy.

My other hospital snack was the Snyder's GF pretzels.  Those are so good!  

The baby made her appearance in record time and I was there to witness this miracle!  Thank you to my daughter and son-in-law for allowing me the honor of being there.  

Particulars:
Sophia Rose
8lbs 10oz
20 inches
born Jan. 8, 2011

2 comments: