Sunday, November 28, 2010

Meatloaf, Gluten Free Style

Today was the first time I've made a meatloaf since going gluten free.  I wasn't sure what to use instead of bread crumbs so I just toasted up a couple slices of Udi's GF bread, allowed to cool a bit, then processed in my small processor.  It worked rather well!

The meatloaf came out basically the same as my gluten full meat loaves.  Yummy.

When I make a meatloaf I take burger and add an egg, a little milk, some olive oil and some beef bouillon mixed in about 1/4 cup of hot water.  The seasonings are usually thyme, garlic and a little basil.  I add the bread crumbs and mix by hand.  Shape into a loaf and bake at 350 for about an hour.  That's it and the beef bouillon makes all the difference!

Sadly I used some BBQ sauce tonight without thinking and reading the label.  I suppose I had better go look.  UGH!  I am not exactly sure if my Butterball turkey OR the cans of chicken and veggie broth were totally gluten free. I found some conflicting things online and the greater Celiac community basically said, if it doesn't SAY Gluten Free on the label, don't use it.  Good idea.  I've been sick off and on since Thanksgiving and didn't think about the broth or turkey until today.  After I ate turkey in gravy (made with the broth).  Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment