Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shortbread and Chocolate and Candies, Oh My!

Last night I made a variation of a recipe found in the October 2010 issue of Everyday Food magazine.  This recipe calls for a shortbread base covered with melted chocolate with a generous sprinkling of the candy of your choice.  It was intended to be a "what to do with leftover Halloween candy" recipe.  Since I cannot have the gluten in the shortbread I used Cherrybrook Kitchens Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Mix as the base. 

For the melted chocolate I used Baker's Semi Sweet Chocolate Squares.  The candy is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Reese's Pieces candies.  My family likes peanut butter and chocolate.  A LOT!  Left up to me, I would have ALL minty candies, but it's not just up to me.  
                          


The first thing I did was make the cookie mix and press into the 9 X 11 pan that should have a light coating of cooking spray.  There's a freaking stick of butter in it but the corners still stuck.  It took about 25 minutes to cook until slightly browned.

                               Here is the cookie mix already baked

 I allowed the cookie base to cool almost completely before melting the chocolate squares and coating the cookie.  I used about 5 squares.


                                  Cookie base with chocolate coating

While the chocolate was still warm and gooey I covered it with cut-up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Reese's Pieces.

                              The final product!

I allowed it to cool a bit more so I would not have condensation.  Condensation is the kiss of death for gluten free baked goods due to the rice flour, I believe.  

After cooling for a while on the counter, I covered it in plastic wrap and stuck in the refrigerator.  All ready for eating! 

Everyone loved this!  The cookie part was crispy-ish and the candies were, well, candies!  Who doesn't like that?  A big "Thanks!" to Everyday Food magazine for the idea! 

 

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! We use that sugar cookie mix for everything. Pie crusts, cookies, Ice cream sandwich cookies, etc. I even use it in my pizzelle maker, then roll the cookies when they are still hot into canoli shells or ice cream cones. We fill the canoli shells with pudding and freeze. Yum! Tomorrow, I'm making two dozen of them for the youngest's class. They'll be frosted like eyeballs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be gaining weight on you celiac diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliana, sounds great! I'll have to try the pizzelles

    Linda, yeah, I have been trying a lot of baked goods but I have at least 7 people sharing them with me, sometimes 8!

    ReplyDelete