Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bread, Part 2

OK Bread again today.  I am determined to get a good loaf!!  Today's bread used less potato flour and a different technique.  

First of all I went to Eating Gluten Free for some online information about technique since making gluten free bread is a totally different process than making bread with wheat.  Totally different!

What I changed about the process of making bread consisted of: order the ingredients were added, consistency of the dough and the mixing of the dough.  First of all I mixed the dry ingredients together and whisked then sprinkled the dry yeast on top.  I added the total amount of warm water and left it for about five minutes.  After adding all of the ingredients I was looking for a dough more like the consistency of a quick bread such as banana bread and finally I used a hand mixer with one beater to beat the dough for a few minutes.  Five minutes are suggested.  I'm sure that using a stand mixer would make more sense but I don't have one.  I may need to get one now.

Here's the recipe I made up which is a compilation of several recipes all mixed up.  Basically I look for proportion of liquid to dry ingredients and go from there.

Bread Recipe 2nd Attempt

Dry Ingredients to whisk together:
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of sugar

Sprinkle dry yeast from one packet over the top of the dry ingredients.

Add:
1 1/2 cups warm water

Allow to sit without stirring for about 5 minutes

In the meantime,

Mix together in another small bowl
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 cup oil

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir together.  Beat in a stand mixer, most likely with a dough hook, OR use a hand mixer to beat the dough for about 5 minutes.  This seems to make a very large different in rising.

Put the dough into a greased loaf pan and allow to rise about 30 to 45 minutes.

Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes

Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then take the bread out of the pan and allow to cool on it's side.  Change sides after about 30 minutes.  Slice and then freeze!


This bread came out MUCH better than the last attempt!  The eggs in the loaf seem to make it feel more spongy rather than like normal bread but it does have a nice feel.  My daughter said that the texture reminds her more of a quick bread, only yeasty.  I will continue to try more bread making and will attempt one with NO eggs next!  

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment